Sunday, September 6, 2015

Significant Other (SO) Social

I believe I have already mentioned about the SGU Significant Other (or "SO") Organization. It's basically... uh-mazing! At the beginning of each term there is an "SO Social" and this term it was held on campus in Modica. They provided the BBQ sandwiches and everyone else brought a side dish to share. It was fun to get to meet people in person that I have already met through FB. The kids, by far, enjoyed playing on the drums as we tried to eat our food while holding onto our plates. (Modia is right on the edge of campus, which is on a peninsula, so it's SUPER windy. But we don't mind the wind.. because IT'S SO STINKING HOT!) Anyway, the kids found the drums and I was thankful for whoever brought them so my kids had some type of entertainment. 

--Side note. My kids are used to living in a very kid oriented community. Large families are the norm where we come from and at most gatherings it's very common for the children to outnumber the adults. So when we moved here, my kids were suddenly the minority and it seemed that there were "never"any kids around. After the first couple of weeks Cannon was feeling the brunt of the change. He was DYING for some kids to play with and even complained, "There are NO kids here! How come all of our new friends are old like you and Dad!" (Poor kid.) With 20-something cousins this was a new experience for him.--   

Needless to say, the kids were all "naturals" on the drums, which I'm sure everyone else there was SO appreciative of! ;) 




After a while of the kids banging playing on the drums we discovered why there were really there. Some locals were there to do some traditional drum playing while in costumes. As soon as I saw them come walking up to the drums with their faces painted I KNEW the girls would be terrified. I was right. Their love of the drums quickly faded. Hazyl enjoyed them from a distance, but Ruby was too frightened after that to enjoy herself. 

All in all it was a success. Yet another new experience to add to the list.

No comments: