Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The End is Near!


It's finals week for Josh, we are SO close to the end of term 1 and we are so excited! Looking back on this term so many things have happened in the past four months, it's flown by but in the same sense it seems like an eternity. Things that have happened...
- Endured the HOTTEST weather. (Seriously... I thought I was going to DIE!)
- Played at the most amazing beaches at least once a week!
- Explored a foreign county with three kids, WITHOUT Josh. 
- Learned to accept the fact that a gallon of milk is $7.50 USD
- Been woken up by a millipede falling on my head.
- Watched my little Ruby get the WORST goose egg on her head and then fall numerous times in the 
   EXACT SAME SPOT.
- Watched a wave take out Ruby, she is still scared of the water at the beach from that one. Even though I        was right next to her and picked her up.
- Eaten many-a-burger Friday's burger at the Merry Baker in Port Louis giving me the opportunity to meet 
  people from all over the world who are sailing. I never realized that people will literally LIVE on a boat and 
  sail around from one place to another... for YEARS at a time. 
- Watched Cannon be SO brave and learn to understand the local's accent's after a couple of weeks at 
   school. 
- Given lessons in primary every week, then sometimes sharing time and singing time as well. Church sure 
   goes by VERY fast when you are doing something for the last two hours straight! 
- The local primary children taught me the song "I love you Jesus"
- Josh woke up to a cockroach crawling on his arm! (Ew!)
- Hazyl doesn't seem to mind the heat and continues to insist on taking her blanket everywhere, but then she 
   gets hot and is SO grumpy. She is FINALLY starting to believe me when I tell her she is hot.
- One night I walked into the kitchen with Ruby and the BIGGEST grasshopper jumped into my leg, causing 
   me to scream and run away, deserting my own child in the kitchen. Josh and the other two kids came 
   running out of their bedroom to see what was wrong. I know.... I know... a grasshopper, but it came out 
   of nowhere and it was huge!
- Learned to endure ants, ants, ants. (Ugh I HATE ants!)
- Had two A/C units break in two of our bedrooms.
- Dealt with a broken down car, stranded and with kids... on more than one occasion. 
- Had a centipede crawl on my FOOT!  
- Had as much as 75 mosquito bites at one time. Why do they love me?! 
- Hit a truck coming out of the church parking lot. It is the steepest driveway and completely blind coming 
   out of it. Luckily the only damage was to my car and just a broken headlight. 
- Learned to cook in a kitchen that is 90 degrees F, before turning the stove or oven on.
- While cooking pancakes on the stove a cockroach (about 2 inches big) crawled out of one of the burners I    was not using. (Ew!) Continued to finished making the pancakes then KILLED him! haha!
- Always see lizards and iguana's walking around the neighborhood and yard.
- Had crabs crawling in our yard, pretty good sized crabs!
- A cockroach lived in my bathroom sink for a few days before we could catch him. Nothing like brushing        your teeth and seeing the antennas poke out of the holes in the front of the sink! 
- Made MANY friends that are like family. It's so great to be part of such a wonderful community! 
- Had many many experiences knowing that the Lord knows about ME and my struggles and I have 
   witnessed so many tender mercies on my behalf, He knows me.... I know it. 


On the left Hazyl informed me that she is Ariel. On the right Hazyl handed me her stuffed puppy and informed me she wanted "boobs." I'm scared for her to grow up. 



We kept driving past this park on the way to Cannon's school. So today we went with our friend's (Lori, Parker, Jacob and Olivia) to check it out. It totally reminded me of the playgrounds I used to play on as a kid, and it probably has been around that long! There were rusted out holes in most of the fixtures. When we got there it was full of local kids and a little boy came up to me and said, "We never see the people white here!" I tried to be as friendly as we could but I think we still scared them all away. Only a few stayed and then I realized one was a boy from Primary! His name is Ryshlon (but he goes by Corey) and he played with us. We then heard a little ice cream truck pass by so we had to get some ice cream of course! The "strawberry" flavor tasted like pink cotton candy and was NASTY, but the vanilla was good and the kids liked it. You know you're in Grenada when there are goats and chickens at the playground with you! (Notice the goat in the background of the girl's picture.) 

I forgot to document the arrival of Bill, the elf on the shelf that comes to our family every Christmas season. He's not mischievous like other elves, but he sure does watch the kids closely and make sure they are trying to make the right choices. He even brought our stocking from home!!


Nothing is more American than corn dogs! You cannot buy them here anywhere, it's a good thing not long before moving here that I learned how to make homemade ones! I was finally able to get a thermometer to make some! They were a huge hit with the kids (and Josh) who ate one after getting home late. 



No comments: