Now that Josh is not in school and I'll have an extra set of hands helping with the kids we have the opportunity to explore our island! Before moving here when I learned that the island was roughly 22 miles from top to bottom and 13 miles across I thought "oh you can probably drive around the whole island in a matter of an hour or two." HA! Oh naive Harmony...you were thinking of American quality roads and speeds. Island roads are much more narrow, bumpy, windy and some are very steep! There is no such thing as a straight shot direction to anywhere on the island. Going somewhere 7 miles away takes about 25-30 minutes. So even though the island isn't that large with all the mountains and hills everywhere it's easy for me to forget I actually live on an island! I know, weird.
Today a bunch of our friends who are still on the island got together and drove to Annandale Falls. (Us, Geoff & Amy, Mallory & Garrett, Alix & Dave, Eli & Kylie) It's about a 45 minute drive up into the rain forest-y area, more toward the middle of the island. We happened to go on a day when a cruise ship was in, so it was VERY busy. (But this time of year there is almost at least one cruise ship in every day, so in all the touristy spots there will be crowds. They don't bother me.) Annandale is perfect for little kids. It's not even really a hike, more like a leisurely walk to a waterfall. The pathway is paved and there is a railing down to the water. You can just walk into the water to cool off, or you can jump in off a platform that is about 8-10 feet high. Cannon decided he wanted to jump in, and I was shocked when he actually did it! He loved it so much that he did it AGAIN! He wanted Josh to go with him, which I was ok with, but he was SO brave! I would have NEVER done that at his age. I absolutely LOVE that he is getting to experience all of these things in his childhood! I feel like moving to Grenada has reminded me to LIVE life! It's so easy to get wrapped up in the routine and monotony of each day. I have rediscovered my love of being in nature and EXPLORING! It's so fun to see all the beauty around us that Heavenly Father has provided for us. Especially here, I am daily astounded by the beauty I see. I think because it is all so new to me (the trees, flowers, caterpillars, beaches,). It's like I'm a kid discovering everything that is new, so it has helped me remember what it's like to be a kid and to discover!
Anyway, after Josh and Cannon jumped in a few of us Mama's jumped in as well! It was fun and cold, but not too cold. It felt refreshing in the heat.
We then had a picnic by the water and headed back home. But of course there was a mona monkey there! It wasn't a wild one, we have yet to see a wild one but we have seen a lot of domestic ones. Monkey's are just awesome!




No comments:
Post a Comment