Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Binky Diaries


Ok, so with Cannon turning one on Sunday, I figured it was time to "pull the plug" on the binky. He ususally only uses it when he is going down for a nap or going to bed, but Josh and I decided a few weeks ago that after he turned one, we would tackle this challenge. I thought that I would share my progress, thus also making me have to report so I don't just give in to his binky desires. So each day, until the addiction is overcome by Cannon I will report.

Day 1 (Today):

I must admit I was terrified when I got up this morning, realizing that my easy days of just laying Cannon down and giving him his binky are no more. But I am determined to succeed.

1st go at it: Nap #1 hit this morning and I knew Cannon was tired. It usually is just a matter of giving him his blanket and binky then he will fall right to sleep. But I just gave him is blanket and a big hug and put him in his crib. He of course cried as I left the room, but I was hoping he would just fall asleep. I was prepared for the worse, but after a short half hour of him crying on and off, he fell soundlessly to sleep. (Ahh...first hurdle overcome!) Sadly, his normal 1-1 1/2 hr morning nap only lasted about a 1/2 hr.

Nap #2: Cannon was so tired by the time his 2nd nap hit that I just read him a book while rocking him with his blanket, laid him down and he fussed for about 2 mins (if that) then he was out! But this time he slept for more than an hour and a half!

BEDTIME:
This is the part I was dreading most because Cannon always has at least 3 binkies in bed with him. Yet again he was really tired as I fed him his evening bottle, while rocking him with his blanket, and the poor tired little guy fell asleep in my arms! I put him in his crib and his little hands searched for his binkies for a few seconds and he started to fuss, but then just rolled over and fell right asleep!

So far so good!! Today hasn't been bad at all, now I just hope tomorrow goes as well! (Knock on wood!) And technically tonight is not over yet, hopefully he doesn't wake up!


1 comment:

Ness said...

I hope your night went good. I think he will be fine. They say it should only take a weekend to wean a baby off of anything. Good luck. We will be doing the same thing in a few months!